torsdag 4 oktober 2012

Makeup Geek Gel liners

A couple weeks ago Makeup Geek asked me if I wanted to help them to evaluate their new review system and for that I got some new eyeshadows and some of their gel liners. Awesome! :D I also won the Fashion week inspired Weekly Challenge, which gave me another 5 gel liners (I exchanged one that wasn't in stock for a lipstick though). Yay! :D So, a couple of days ago this heavy package arrived and jumping up and down in excitement I opened it to find these lovelies:


The afternoon was then spent to make swatches and try out the products so that I would have something to tell you about them. :) Bare in mind that this won't be an actual review since I haven't tried out the products properly yet; just kind of a first impression.
Swatches for the lipstick and the eyeshadows will pop up here some time during this weekend, I assume.


The Makeup Geek gel liners come packed in this cute little box -which is purple! The actual jar has a flat lid decorated with the Makeup Geek logotype and a pretty swirly floral pattern. It is very cute and the flat lid makes the jar easier to store.


1. Mystic, 2. Fame, 3. Electric, 4. Amethyst


5. Cottontail, 6. Poison, 7. Mobster, 8. Rave, 9. Twinkle, 10. Immortal

I'll just go ahead and tell you about the liners in the order they come in the swatches...


Mystic was a very pleasant surprise to me. If you would make marmalade out of the Makeup Geek Appletini eyeshadow you would probably get Mystic. It's beautiful and sparkly in a bright apple-green shade. 


Fame is a dark teal shade with shimmer and I was surprised that it was so opaque, since dark bluish colors often tends to require a few layers for full opacity. This is definitely my favorite of the whole lot and I can barely wait to use it. :)


Electric however, was not as opaque as Fame and required some layers to build up full color intensity. I love the rich, royal blue color though and I imagine that this gel liner will be an excellent eyeshadow base. 


Amethyst was the one I had highest expectations on (it's purple, hello...) and I was definitely not disappointed. It is smooth and creamy and has that perfect purple color that I can't help being attracted to. 


Cottontail was more silvery than I had expected but it's all the same a very pretty color. It's not as opaque as the rest and will probably work best as an inner corner highlight or an eyeshadow base. 


Poison is another one of my favorites! It looks like blood and makes my inner vampire purr. In the jar it looks kind of rusty red but on my skin it is definitely blood red. Love it! :D 


Mobster is a dark, chocolate brown which has kind of the same problem as Electric; it takes a few applications to get it 100% opaque. I'm not too thrilled about the color brown but it is definitely a gel liner worth spending your money on if you like more earthy and natural looks. 


Rave is a shimmery taupe which is incredibly pigmented and smooth. I actually loved this one and I'm looking forward to start playing around with it. 


Twinkle is a warm gunmetal shade with a lot of shimmer. In consistency and application it is definitely similar to Rave and I imagine this will be a perfect base for shimmery smokey eyes. 


Immortal; Since I'm using black gel liner in practically every single look I do, this one deserves a post of it's own. I'm planning to investigate it further, comparing it to Blacktrack by M.A.C. As a first impression though, I can say that it is very pigmented and the application is smooth and nice. 


I daresay these liners are waterproof. This picture was taken after scrubbing my arm ferociously with soap and a nailbrush. ;) However, they disappeared when I washed them away with makeup remover for waterproof makeup. 

So overall I'm very impressed with these liners! They are superpigmented and just great. :) The only thing that really bugs me about them is that they are hard to wash off without makeup remover.

And of course they are NOT tested on animals! :)


Disclosure: The product(s) shown in this post have been sent to me by the brand(s) for use or possible review. This however, does not in any way affect my opinions about the product(s) and I assure you that all of the opinions stated are my own. You, my dear reader, are my priority number one and I would never recommend a product that I do not think is worth spending money on. The product(s) are also, to my best knowledge, completely cruelty free.




11 kommentarer:

  1. Every time i see Poison, I really want to have it. It's such a nice Red. And the other ones are beautiful too...

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I will try Poison out tomorrow I think. :) It is a beautiful shade, indeed!

      Radera
  2. I'd like to get a second post when you try them more as liners; I've had major transfer using Fame as a liner and I'd like to know if it's just me or if other people are having the same experience!

    SvaraRadera
  3. Oooh! Can't wait to see you play with these. Colors look incredible :-)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I've made a couple of looks with them now, that will show up here some time soon. ^_^

      Radera
  4. Try washing them off with jojoba oil - that stuff gets *everything* off, and is 100% natural (and cheap!) ;)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Oh, I will keep that in mind! :) I bought a makeup remover from Kryolan yesterday that worked great as well. Is jojoba oil eye safe?

      Radera
  5. Can't wait to see how you will use the gel liners! Amazing colours.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I already have tried them out a little and so far so good. I really like them. :)

      Radera
  6. I bought some of these after seeing your review - I thought the colours were beautiful and I LOVE Fame. These were my first gel liners and I'm having real trouble working out how to apply them smoothly - the brush always seems to catch on my skin, although I can use liquid eyeliner fine. I bought the MUG bent eyeliner brush to apply it with but have ended up using the brush from one of the new style UD liquid eyeliners as it seems to work better. Do you have any tips on application?

    SvaraRadera